Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Scooter Libby

I may have more to say on the case of I. Lewis "Scooter" Libby tomorrow, but for the present, it will suffice to say that this whole sad business is a great blow to the Bush administration generally; and more particularly to its ability to govern and carry on the war.
I have trouble remembering precisely what I said five minutes ago, let alone the contents or timing of business or political discussions conducted months ago, and I always thought this prosecution was ludicrous. I had hoped for another outcome.
In any case, Mr. Libby appears to me to be small-fry: even assuming he was guilty of something (which I doubt), it was in his capacity as the executor of the policies of others. Servants owe loyalty to their masters: but masters should take care of servants injured in their service. A king who doesn't back up his knights is not worth much. If the Left wants a pound of flesh for the administration's political maneuvers to defend its Iraq policy, then it should be dared to seek it elsewhere. Like the editors over at National Review: I hope that a pardon for Mr. Libby will be promptly forthcoming from President Bush.

No comments: