I first did this list back in May of 05 and again in August of 06. . .Much of it is the same, but some not. As I've said before, it just seems like an appropriate time to, reflect again on Fun, Good and Interesting Thangs (FGIT), as sort of a reminder of the blessings that have come my way in this life. . . I don't get to do all these, or experience them all anymore, but they are all well liked by moi. This is a by no means exhaustive list, nor is it in any particular order.
2. Double entendres.
3. Cookies and Cream Ice Cream.
4. BMW 3 series.
5. A decent Merlot – from Chile not California.
7. Seaside, FL.
9. A trip to the Museum, when not in a hurry.
10. A place near Sealy, TX.
11. Tea -- iced or hot.
13. A quiet afternoon with a book.
15. When the Heir is happy.
16. Da Beach.
17. When SWMBO is happy.
18. 18-year old Scotch (preferably Macallan).
19. Dinner and Drinking with pals.
20. When the Heir is in the mood to tell me the kiddo gossip.
21. Jenny McCarthy.
22. Popcorn -- with plenty of butter.
24. Cats, in particular, FLINKY, MILO and SUNSHINE, the High Patronesses of this Blog.
25. Watching Lefties go Bonkers.
27. Thunderstorms when I don’t have to be anyplace.
28. Going to a Movie with SWMBO.
29. Snail-mail. (I love to write and receive letters: See #23).
30. Flags, particularly those of Texas, the US and the Confederacy.
31. A clear night, with lots and lots of stars. . .
31. Sleeping late -- anybody who bugs me before 10 a.m. on a weekend is DEAD, DEAD, DEAD.
32. The GoGo’s.
33. Some stuff by the Carpenters.
34. Occasional computer video games.
35. Hershey Bars -- plain chocolate.
36. Deutsche Bier.
37. Deutsche Marschmusik.
38. A chocolate cake from Three Brothers Bakery, Houston.
40. Old Books.
42. Grapes (red, seedless).
43. Regular Coke.
44. Italian Food.
46. Blueberry Pie.
47. A stay at the Four Seasons, or the Lancaster (Houston, Texas).
48. 80's music.
50. Military History.
53. Guns -- shooting them and a quiet afternoon cleaning them afterwards.
54. A fire – fireplace or campfire.
55. The frogs and crickets making noise, about sunset.
56. The British.
57. Blackened Redfish or Snapper.
58. Black Coffee – very strong, piping hot.
59. Mozart's Symphonie Nr. 31 in D-Major "Pariser Symphonie" (KV 297).
60. Austin, Texas (keep it weird, but pray they learn to drive !)
61. Roller Coasters.
62. Winston Churchill and all his books.
63. Writing in my journal (where I put all the stuff I won't tell the blog).
64. George Strait.
65. Barbecue – specially brisket.
66. Ball caps (on weekends, I can't ever decide which one to wear).
67. The Washington Post, except for the editorial page.
68. Ronald Reagan.
69. Keeping my friends’ secrets.
70. Paris -- standing in Place de la Concorde looking down the Champs Elysees.
71. Riding my bike early in the morning, when I make it out of bed.
72. Holding Four Aces.
74. Irish Whiskey (Jameson's).
75. Cigars (only occasionally, when SWMBO won't catch me).
76. European history.
77. Chit-Chat about nothing in particular (see No. 39).
79. The Buffalo River valley, Arkansas.
80. Gustave Courbet’s The Sea (1867).
82. Nice shoes.
84. A good Cosmo, or three.
85. A window seat on the plane.
86. Kate Winslet in Titanic.
87. Deeply intense conversations about abstract political or historical happenings.
88. Ernest Meissonier’s Campaign de France, 1814 (1864).
89. "Pie Jesu" (by Andrew Lloyd Webber, Requiem 1985).
91. Robert E. Lee.
92. NFL Football Games – when I don’t have to drive.
94. Wildflowers in late April -- go out between Sealy and LaGrange, TX and drive with the windows down.
95. SWMBO’s cooking.
96. An afternoon at the bookstore.
97. The Driskill Hotel, Austin.
98. Boats and ships.
99. John Singer Sargent’s Lady Agnew of Lochnaw (1892-93).
100. Biscuits or Biscuits and Gravy.
101. The Heir’s face when asleep.
102. Masraff’s (Restaurant), Houston, Texas.
103. Le Musée de l’Armée, Paris.
104. The Forum Romanum, Rome.
105. Swim-Up Bars.
106. The Godfather (all three parts).
107. John Sanford’s Prey novels.
108. FLINKY when she Meows at my study door to be let in.
109. The smell of the ocean and listening to the waves. (See #7, # 16).
110. The color red.
111. The Band of the Coldstream Guards.
112. Chicago (before Cetera left), Boston, and the BeeGees, or most 70’s/80’s bands.
113. Stuffing my head with pointless trivia.
114. Late night phone calls.
115. Late movies.
116. Irish bars .
118. Clocks that tick loudly.
119. The color black, specially when paired with # 41.
120. The Heir when he says “But I have a question.”
121. The film Cleopatra (Liz Taylor, Richard Burton, Rex Harrison).
122. Late nights drinking in smoke-filled bars with obscure bands playing.
123. Buying flowers.
124. The color blue.
125. Sudden, spur of moment road trips.
126. Ceremony -- the more traditional and pointless, the better.
127. Hearing train whistles a long way off.
128. My book collection.
129. New and different tee-shirts.
131. Interesting perfume.
132. SWMBO’s Tales of Office Politics.
133. Avoiding my office's own Office Politics.
134. A nice sirloin, medium, with some mushrooms.
135. St. Clement, Chardonnay (’03).
136. An afternoon snooze.
137. Flying a kite.
138. Touring old battlefields.
139. Howard Pyle's The Battle of Bunker Hill (1897).
140. Anything with Clint Eastwood in it.
141. The Heir petting MILO.
142. An evening at a play.
143. The New Car smell.
144. Shiner Blonde or Foster Lager.
145. Anything about or to do with Theodore Roosevelt.
146. John Wayne movies.
147. Falling asleep – that point when not quite awake, but not asleep yet either.
149. Golf, as long as we're not keeping score and somebody snuck in a flask.
150. Going bump in the night.