Thursday, April 26, 2007

Symphony No. 39 in E flat major (Mozart)

I was listening to Mozart on the way into work: his Symphony No. 39 in E flat major (KV 543). A beautiful piece of music: I was four years old when this recording was made, and I'm convinced nobody has ever outdone Karl Böhm and the Berliner Philharmoniker on this piece. For some reason, I'm probably a much better driver when I have old Mozart in the CD player -- possibly I'm slower.

In any case, I pulled into the building lot this morning, and I wasn't done yet, so there I sat for the next ten minutes, eyes closed, listening to Herr Böhm lead the orchestra through the last two movements of Symphony No. 39 (Menuetto: Alegretto-Trio, and Finale: Allegro). Such beautiful music ! Fortunately the piece ended before anybody became concerned that I had gone to sleep, or was bonkers.

No comments: